How will you decide what device and program is best for your learner?
- Consult an SLP or an assistive tech assessor to assist in the determination! They will run a formal assessment and trial some devices with your child to determine the best option.
How will you teach using the device?
- How large of an array can the child handle right now?
- should all available icons be on the first page for now?
- will the child communicate in single words? two word phrases? full sentences? adjectives?
- does the child work best in the natural environment or a structured, isolated table to initially learn the icons and process?
- does the child have a well-developed non-identical matching repertoire?
How will you instruct mom and dad about the device?
- will they come in and observe session?
- will you go to the house and model?
- will you provide a combination of both?
- Will you give the family a written protocol, just as you do your session staff?