- create a list of routines that are consistent
- going to the bathroom
- walking in the hall
- getting materials in the classroom
- responding during whole group
- participating during small group
- expectations during independent work
- then practice them daily until you see success, then slowly fade out your directions and raise your expectations that these transitions will JUST HAPPEN!
- Provide lots of ‘thumbs up’, tokens (if your classroom has a token economy), smiles, high fives, ‘great job’ with specific praise, etc. Provide tons of attention of on-task behavior, and minimal attention to off-task. For those that choose not to participate appropriately, maybe extra practice, or a gestural prompt, will help, but do not bring extra attention to this!
This is my first suggestion to re-establish yourself in the classroom as the leader, teacher!!!